Dorkus,

I do believe we are talking at cross purposes here. Please read
specifically what Mamsterla posted -
mamsterla Wrote:
> Gary:
> I forgot to mention that my SB2 is modded with a linear, LT1086ADJ
> regulated PS and has a new Rubycon ZA "big ass" cap with a 0.01uF
> Siemens stacked polyester bypass cap on it.
He nor I made any mention of ps decoupling of digital circuitry, only a
reference to his rather well chosen (IMO) analog ps.
Neither he nor I advocated replacing a smt ceramic for digital
decoupling with a stacked film leaded cap. Why in heaven's name would
you think we'd done so?

Now when I read Mamsterla's original post I made some assumptions -
He chose the LT1086adj, even though LT1086-5 s are available
specifically because he could capacitively bypass the ground leg of the
voltage set resistive divider for better performance than the
non-adjustable implementation.
He implemented his ps on some perf board or 'dead bug' and using smt
components is simply not practical. And his use of those Epcos stacked
film caps is very astute in the context of a non-smt based
implementation. Similarly, while I do like the Panny FM electrolytics,
as they're readily available, from objective criteria, I can't see why
they'd be prefferable to Rubycon ZAs.

This implementation potentially offers far superior performance than
than the ULN723 based regulated supplies that folks hereabouts are so
excited about (and as the original source for the recommendations on
AudioCircles of the Hosfelt and the PowerOne supplies from
CascadeSurplus, I feel entitled to make such assertions, and only
suggested them as a quick and dirty cheap altenative and not as the
equal of a well implemented ps as done by Mamsterla) and more
importantly, is relatively straightforward to do so.

I'm eagerly awaiting your offer of a smt based external linear supply,
with double sided boards, proper ground planes for lowest noise, and
provision for the 'proper' components. But until that time, I'd think
the proper response to Mamsterla would be to ask for advice.

FWIW,
Occam

PS - Thanks for the nerdy references, but save for that 1st general
reference, it might be beneficial to make them relevant to the subject
at hand, decoupling of LINEAR (PS)circuits.

--
occam