I measured the output of the stock wall wart PSU with an O'Scope this
morning.

Whether the pictures in the enjoythemusic.com review represent the
outputs of *typical* switching PSU's or not I can't say, but they
certainly do *NOT* represent the output of the PSU that came with my
Squeezebox.

The scope I used was a Tektronix 2213A, the probe was a Tektronix
P6130.

With the scope in DC coupled mode I was only able to discern
approximately 100mv of ripple, there was a very small amount of
switching noise present. It was difficult to measure the switching
noise in DC coupled mode since it was obviously riding on the +5VDC.
The smallest voltage range usable was 500mv/Div, attempting to use a
more sensitive range resulted in the o'scope trace being off scale.

In AC coupled mode I was able to discern about 80mv of ripple. There
was definitely switching noise artifacts present in the signal, these
were generally on the order of approximately 30mv.

100mv of ripple works out to 2% of rated voltage.

It should be noted that the signal observed in the AC coupled mode was
affected by the coupling circuitry of the o'scope. It would have been
preferable to use the DC coupling mode, but this was not possible.

It should also be noted that the measurements I took were of an
un-loaded PSU.

I have a photo of the AC coupled trace which I will post when I get
home this evening.

The conclusion I arrived at was this: there is a small amount of ripple
and switching noise on the output of the stock wall wart, but it is not
even close to any of the signals depicted in the enjoythemusic.com
review.

The photos in the review were of the output of a Squeezebox 2. I don't
know if the Squeezebox 2 came with a different PSU, but the signal
photographed by BoulderCable did not look remotely similar to what I
observed.

--
nelamvr6