pablolie Wrote:
> > Buying 5,000 compact discs and having 250 *good* ones is
> > either poor selection or incredibly bad luck.
>
> That's an ignorant thing to say. Listen to jazz recording until the
> early 70s. A 256kbps MP3 is not going to be the *gating factor* in the
> vast majority of cases.
>
> > It does beg the question, why further limit the resolution of
> > the few good sounding ones you do have?
>
> I don't. I own Accuphase gear, and fantastic speakers. Catch up to that
> with a SQB. And good luck. You want to be obnoxious, 2 can play that
> game: you don't even realize your line of argument betrays your
> insecurity in your system's capabilities. The SQB is convenient. It
> sounds amazing. As ar as rivaling the psychoacoustic experience of
> listening to things without it through the Accupphase CD and amplifier:
> no way.

What is a "gating factor"?
As far as I'm aware errors accumulate.
I have very few CDs that are not clearly different in sound when
compressed to 256 kbps MP3, BTW. Even on my iPod nano I can easily hear
the difference between 224 kbps AAC (which sounds better than MP3) and
apple lossless. It is especially marked with symphonies.

--
P Floding