jonheal Wrote:
> This particular board has two rows of holes down the middle, the copper
> pads of which are connected. I was going to use those rows as my
> ground. There are also numerous groupings of two and three holes, the
> copper pads of which are also connected. I was going to install the
> parts in these "group hole" pads, and then run jumpers of the bus wire
> between the "group hole" pads to complete connections.This sounds reasonable.
>  The long rows of connected holes are typically
meant for power and/or ground.  It's too bad that there aren't three of
them...

> the connection might require three little jumpers (six solder
> connections), and might run a total distance of and inch and a half.
> Will this distance/soldering result in too much resistance/inductance? That
> probably won't cause problems, since audio frequency circuits
really aren't that sensitive to wire lengths.  On the other hand, I
like to make my connections as short as possible anyway.  One thing to
be avoided is making large loops formed between your signal wire and
your ground.  Those can pick up electromagnetic interference, for
instance from your power supply or fluorescent lights.

> Does insulated jumper wire lower inductance, or just prevent shorts?It is for
> avoiding shorts.  Shorts suck.

> I don't even understand how the capacitors effect the condition of the
> power supply, as they seem (from the schematic) to be "off to the side"
> of the circuit bewteen the power supply and the IC.You can imagine that your
> power distribution is like a plumbing system.
Voltage is like pressure, and current is like flow.  The power supply is
like a pump that is trying to pressurize the pipes to a fixed level.  It
has a maximum flow that it can generate before it can't keep up and the
pressure starts to drop.  The capacitors are like big water tanks that
fill up to a certain level due to the pressure coming from the pump.
Once filled, they can provide extra water flow when the pump can't keep
up.  The pressure of the water at the outlet of the tank is a function
of the height of the water inside the tank.

A small valued capacitor is like a skinny tank.  It will fill up to the
same height as a wide tank, but it will drain faster and therefore the
pressure will drop faster.  A large valued capacitor is like a wide
tank.  It takes a longer time to drain, so it can maintain the pressure
in the pipes without the pump for a long time.

--
John Stimson