Now I know that this might sound like a silly question, and for non-hifi
nuts and computer experts it probably is, but this is addressed to
people like me - very fussy about my music and not totally convinced
that computers don't involve witchcraft...

If storage space were not an issue, would people actually sooner store
their music totally uncompressed rather than use a 'lossless' codec?

I know people are going to say that lossless preserves all the data
etc. but let me ask you this:

If someone invented a 'lossless' way of making food 'smaller' for
storage by removing the water, would you rather eat an apparantly
perfectly reconstituted or untouched version? I mean water is just
water right?  If you put it back where it came from is as good as
before isn't it?...

I'm sure this is more of a psychological question but then we live in
the world of 'vibration cones', 'green pen on CD edges' and 'deep
freeze your CDs for better sound'

--
hifisteve