hifisteve Wrote:
> Other than the obvious compatability issues, any views on whether
> there's any other advantages/disadvantages of using Apple lossless
> rather than FLAC?

Not really from an audio standpoint, they're about the same size and
are both lossless. One of them is open source and the other requires
quicktime to play it back. For me it was a convenience thing, Apple
Lossless is easier for me because I can use iTunes to rip and manage my
library. EAC may perhaps give a more accurate rip, but it's a pain to
set up and manage the files and I couldn't hear a difference in the
end.

I think the only argument you could put for an audible difference
between lossless and uncompressed, assuming accuracy of the codecs
which actually is pretty easy to verify, is that they place different
electrical loads on the SB power supply due to the additional decoding
or alternate circuitry being exercised.

However, the SB isn't a asynchronously clocked processing device, so
the processor is always crunching code, and the same circuits are used
irrespective of source data, so I can't see how there would be any
elctrical differences. In the case of Apple Lossless, it's done on the
server anyway, so absolutely no diference as far as the SB is
concerned.

Paul

--
CardinalFang

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever...