Besides the good suggestions here, you will want to look at
http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm which gives a pretty complete
overview of your options.

The one thing that surprises me a little in the discussion is the
concern about recording levels.  This is a part of the ritual for those
of us who have been recording since tape days, especially cassette, but
it was because the dynamic range of the cassettes was at best
comparable to that of the records, so you had to be careful to use all
of it.  I think it might be vestigial with the much bigger range of CD
recording.  I find that if I just use the same level with plenty of
headroom for all discs, the noise from the records still swamps
anything added in the transfer.

For what it's worth, I use a Sony component CD recorder/player.  It has
no hard drive and not much memory, so it records directly onto CDs in
real time.  This may have been a cost-effective compromise a very few
years ago, but it's kind of silly now.  It's very sensitive to
vibration and even, it seems, to the brand of media; and when it fails,
it does so in a frustrating way:  it usually doesn't give any indication
of failure until you finish the track, which for me is a side of an LP.

--
tom permutt