mauidan Wrote:
> Having read JA's reviews for many years, I can take it that
> the Ayre C-5XE CDP, which has never been recommended as a transport,
> performed better than the SB. If JA uses a hiend transport, IMO the
> differences will be larger.
>
> IMO, there are a number transports and CDPs that cost much less
> than $6K, including the Ayre CX-7e which sound better than the
> SB.

Actually, it struck me that an analytic reading of the article would
conclude that JA emphasized the *lack* of a profound difference between
the two. I would characterize his statement relative to the (possible)
perception the Ayre outperformed the SB as equivocal; he trivialized
the differences, not underscored them.

Stating simplistically that he said the Ayre "performed better" is
focusing on a statement out of the context, and I believe underlying
thesis, of the whole review.

--
joncourage