crooner Wrote:
> Interesting concept the PWM amp. I believe the first digital amp was
> introduced by Infinity in 1976, 30 years ago!! No direct digital input,
> of course, but the shape of things to come...
>
> I wonder if the PWM approach clips in the conventional sense. I find
> the power output of the affordable units quite low for wide dynamic
> range material. I would love to play something dynamic on them, like
> the 1812 Overture or that legendary Telarc of the Carmen Suite, just to
> examine its behavior reproducing those large peaks. my 270 wpc SX-1980
> handles them ease. Anything below 100 watts (in conventional design) is
> asking for trouble...

keep in mind that digital amps are very efficient, above 95%. In
typical Class A/B the efficiency drops to 60%, so that means if you
have a more efficient amp, you can get by with less wattage and still
achieve the same dynamic range.

Another side to the argument is that tube amps are very low wattage as
well, and they seem to do a pretty good job with dynamic range.

Anyway due to the highly efficient power ratings, I doubt if Digital
Amps needs to be spec to 300W or 500W.

--
khewa