cliveb Wrote:
> Mea Culpa. Panasonic's web page about the XR55 didn't make this obvious.
> Now that you've explained what sort of device the XR55 is, I agree that
> using an external DAC with it makes no sense.
>
> Of course, a PWM power amp is essentially a DAC that delivers a high
> current output sufficient to drive speakers, so in a strict sense there
> is still a DAC involved, as there ultimately must be if you want to get
> music out of the system, unless you can build a speaker that uses
> pistons driven directly by digital impulses. (As far as I am aware,
> nobody has yet successfully built such a speaker, although I did read
> about an experimental design of that type a few years ago: I don't
> *think* it was an April Fool's joke :-).

I own a XR55 and a SB3. I recently purchased an external DAC(mhdt lab-
Constantine) which will arrive in a few days. I thought that I could
upgrade the output of the SB3 without going the mod route by bypassing
the SB3 DAC with the digital out> DAC> audio out> XR55. So are you
saying that this is a waste of time and money? I thought that if you
input a digital signal via SB3 optical/coaxial to the XR55, it would
make use of the receivers internal DAC. On the other hand, if you input
an analogue signal via external DAC, the RCA audio inputs, the XR55's
DAC would be bypassed. I guess that I'm a bit confused but is there
another DAC right at the amplifier stage that causes another
digital/analogue conversion therefore more complexity and less SQ?

--
rajacat