banzai Wrote:
> No, the audible differences have more to do with detail and spatial
> precision. It might also cause a slight volume gain (emphasis on
> "slight"), but I'm not sure on that one (it's hard to distinguish
> slight changes in volume from perceived increased detail). I have an
> SPL meter but I haven't tried to measure a difference (I'd guess it
> might be 0.5dB, if anything).
>
> I'm a picky audiophile and do lots of testing on my gear, but at a
> certain point if your ears say "better", it's time to move on!

Fair enough...  although now I can't help wondering if the volume
difference could account for this, as small differences in volume can
make a big difference in perceived quality.

> Thanks, I'll check it out. I've kind of accepted a bit of willing
> ignorance though when it comes to EE. When it comes to physics I always
> rocked the Mechanics but struggled with E&M. I'm a professional
> programmer but in general I only care about where the bits go, not how
> they got there!

Well, I'm actually (about to become) a professor of physics, and I'm
probably teaching E&M next semester, so I'd better know it!

> It's too cumbersome to do A/B tests with swapping out ALL power cords
> at once (i.e. compare w/all six upgraded cords and then w/out).
> Remember, each power cord upgrade added an incremental improvement to
> my system (SACD player, DAC/analog passthrough, amp - along w/line
> conditioners). But it's possible that the total difference would be
> about as drastic as the 703 vs 702 audition.

Very interesting...  you're starting to convince me I should try this!

>  One theory I heard had to do with the current induced by the large
> woofers not settling instantaneously. A woofer has too much momentum to
> just stop on a dime. So the undesired, unintended movement induces a
> current that gets fed back into the signal path.
>
> The thought was that biwiring keeps that inducted current out of the
> signal path of the high freq signal path. Of course you're right that
> they're still electrically connected at the amp. I can't explain why
> that would help to reduce the effects of this inducted current.

Hmm...  me either.  If anything, depending on how the cables are
arranged it seems bi-wiring could actually increase the inductance...

> It's possible that biwiring doesn't do anything, but it's the metal
> bridge plates that confound the sound (when single-wired you need the
> bridge plates to electrically link the two sets of binding posts).

OK, could be - if they're not making a good connection.  Pretty sloppy
on the part of the speaker manufacturer if so, though.

> Also we don't actually know all there is to know about E&M. I remember
> reading about a pitted superconductor material that defied all E&M
> expectations. No one could account for its near-superconductive
> properties at room temperatures. And I think there was some mystery as
> to why some thin ribbon wires (flat, wide wires) outperform other
> superconductors. There's also no explanation behind the perceived
> performance differences in cryogenically treated cables (people claim
> there's an audible diff, I have no experience either way).

Well....  I won't say we know everything about it, far from it, but
we're not talking about anything anywhere near as exotic as a high T_c
superconductor.  The sort of stuff relevant here has been pretty well
understood for a long time.  Still, human perception is sensitive to
some very subtle cues, so it's hard to rule anything out for sure.

--
opaqueice