P Floding Wrote:
> I'm polarity switching my sound (via remote) as I type this, and there
> is no question in my mind that the change is very audible (in my
> system).

Hi P Floding, I'm going to try to explain why there is such skepticism
about this.  Perhaps what I'm saying here is obvious to you - if so I'm
sorry - but it's become clear to me in this discussion that there's a
basic lack of communication here, so maybe this will help.  From your
point of view it must be annoying to be faced with such skepticism all
the time, so perhaps this will explain it a bit?

I think for most people with much experience with wave mechanics or AC
circuits or anything else related to harmonic oscillators, the idea
that a polarity switch could be audible in music is quite hard to
understand.  While it's clear that under certain highly artificial
circumstances it could be audible, in music my intuition at least is
that the effect must be very small.  That intuition is not coming from
nothing - it's based on many years of professional experience (not with
audio per se, but with physics).

When the claim of audibility is coupled to the claim that one sounds
_better_ than the other rather than simply very slightly different, the
level of skepticism rises even higher, particularly if it is also
claimed that the improvement is due to one being somehow closer to the
original sound being recorded.  I won't go through all the many reasons
for this again (they appear in previous posts in this thread), but
simply say that this sounds, to me, unlikely nearly to the point of
impossibility.

On the other hand, there is a powerful, well-studied psycho-acoustic
effect which could be responsible for this perception of improvement.
It works like this - you are expecting, or anticipating, hearing a
difference.  Music is a very complicated thing, and your memory of it
is never perfect.  As such, you hear things the second time around
which don't quite match your memory of the first.  Each such instance
is taken as evidence for a difference.  At this point there is a kind
of feedback effect - you are now starting to think there is a
difference, even if you weren't before, and so-called "confirmation
bias" - that people remember facts and events which confirm their prior
beliefs more than those which dis-confirm them - helps to reinforce
this.

In fact this effect or something close to it has been demonstrated to
be responsible for perceived differences at least twice recently on
this forum (that is, people were sure they could hear differences and
then failed to do so in blind tests, which are the only way I know to
disentangle this).

So, faced with a phenomenon (your perception of a difference) with two
possible explanations, one that seems rather unlikely versus one which
is known to be present and important, it's pretty natural that many
people go for the second option.

If I were you, I would be quite curious to discover the source of the
difference heard when switching polarity.  I would be skeptical the
origin was physical rather than psychological, because I know only too
well that I at least am susceptible to such things, but I wouldn't rule
anything out.  So, first I would have someone switch it back and forth
randomly and see if I could in fact hear a difference blind.  If so, it
would at least make it clear that there was a real acoustic difference
when the setting is changed, and then the investigation could proceed
from there.

--
opaqueice