I've two observations to contribute:

1) I remember a demo by Linn in the mid 80's where they reversed the
polarity of the speaker cables  to demonstrate the effect on perception
of surface noise from vinyl. I had to agree it made a noticeable
difference to how bad the pops and clicks sounded. It didn't change the
rest of the music for me. The offered explanation was that the most
annoying "clicks" were caused by wall damage that was physically
predominantly in one direction with regard to the movement of the
stylus.So, the initial transient (which is pretty much all you hear) is
the stylus and thus the speaker cone moving either out or in depending
on absolute phase of the post-stylus electrical chain (the transient is
asymmetrical with regard to 0V and so the "recoil" movement of the cone
coming back through zero to create a whole-period waveform is NOT the
same magnitude as the initial rising wave. This is hard to describe in
words - imagine a sine wave where the bit above the line is bigger than
the bit below it. If you've ever edited clicks out of a vinyl transfer
on a computer you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, the theory was that the speaker (any speaker?) reacts slightly
differently to these quasi-DC non-musical transients because of the
effects of cabinet air pressure loading  and other anomolies in the
physical construction of the speaker itself and that this was enough to
change the sound of the transients.

Not sure where this leaves us regarding digital sources that should not
have these sort of transients in them. I can't hear any difference
switching the phase on my TACT 2.2x or by reversing the speaker
cables...

2) If there is significant DC across the speaker coils, the speaker
cone will not be sitting in the 0v stationary position as its designer
intended. This could introduce a "constant" asymmetry in response which
would be absolute-phase sensitive - especially in closed box or port
loaded speakers. This would be audible with real music.
I'm not sure what significant would be in this context because as has
been stated its not clear what the limits of human perception are.
However, it might be worth checking for DC, as this would provide a
rational explanation for absolute phase differences.

Could this be simulated with a manufactured WAV file?. Also, could DC
elsewhere in the chain cause this asymmetry - perhaps in the current
draw of the power amp supply rails?

Food for thought anyway...

--
Phil Leigh