If you have not upgraded your SB with the digital upgrades and power
supply (Bolder or Red Wine Audio), I would spend my money there first.
Bolder was my choice.

The digital upgrade ($150) was an easy and cheap way to remove some of
the digital glare from the stock unit. The power supply really moved
things into a whole different universe. Being a bit skeptical of how a
power supply upgrade could have such an effect, I had mine done in
stages, ultimately going from a basic upgrade (no longer offered) to a
deluxe upgrade. Cost was near what a tube buffer was.

Incredible performance; I have 2 SB3's, one left stock, so I could A/B
them. My experience (and more info on upgrades) can be read at
http://musicserver.blogspot.com

I have a MF Tri-Vista DAC, which is essentially using an X-10 type
output stage, but with a better regulated PS. Love it, but it didn't do
anything huge until I had the upgrades done.

--
davehg