opaqueice Wrote:
> What I said was, I'm not sure option 3) is sensible, because I don't see
> how there can be such a thing as "compression waves" versus "rarefaction
> waves", since either would mean a net flow of air, and that sounds
> impossible.  Instead, you must just have a series of
> compression-rarefaction-comp-rare-etc. (relative to the average air
> density).
>
> In other words it seems that if the motion of the cone reverses its
> polarity and that's the only change, the sound wave produced by that
> motion must be the same, so option 3) is out.  But maybe I'm missing
> something, which is why I included it in the first place.
>
> None of this is affected by the presence of absence of DC - that's got
> nothing to do with it.

I don't think anyone here has ever said anything about "compression
waves" and "rarification waves". It must be something you have
imagined. A sound wave is a series of compression and rarifications of
the medium it travels through. The net "flow" is always zero. This is
so basic that I don't understand why you bother to bring it up?

--
P Floding