opaqueice Wrote:
> OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you need a pretty big DC
> offset to do that?
Yes, that's correct. You do need a fairly large DC offset to destroy a
drive unit, and in fact if there's also a music signal mixed in, the DC
offset is significantly less dangerous (because with a pure DC offset
with no AC component, the heated voice coil remains stationary and a
local "hot spot" can build up).

opaqueice Wrote:
> In any case, there is no DC offset in the signal I tested, and I suspect
> there are very few, if any, amps that pass the DC to the speakers
> anyway.
Yes, I appreciate that, and I wasn't commenting on your specific
experiment, but the general suggestion in a few posts that DC offsets
are benign.

But you are right that in the vast majority of cases real world DC
offsets aren't a threat. I just wanted to point out that there are
exceptions. (I've personally witnessed a pair of Nightingale NM1 bass
drivers destroyed by a DC offset coming out of a Meridan power amp).
Perhaps in hindsight I shouldn't have made my original post, as it's a
bit off-topic for this thread.

--
cliveb