pkfox Wrote:

> 1 - Do I need an external DAC ?
> 2 - What's the best format for the encoding ( I currently use Flac ) ?
> 3 - How can I utilise the digital output ?

1
-The SB has one, so it's worth a listen before investing. It's
comparable to a mid-fi cd player:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23948

2
-Best is usually a matter of opinion. FLAC is great though [open
source, taggable, lossless, decodable on the slim device].

Some people claim decoding  FLAC to .wav on the server, rather than the
slim device, makes a beneficial sonic difference. The only thing proven
so far: it will make sure the very last bits of each song aren't
truncated, while sacraficing your ability to ff/rw:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22936

3
-S|PDIF or Optical -->DAC/Digital Monitors/Digital Receiver/Jitter
Bug/Equalizer/Etc. There is a checkbox to allow/not digital volume
control. This affects the sample rate, unless set to not.

I believe SB sends output to Analog RCA, S/PDIF and Optical
simultaneously (?), so the answer would be just plug it in. I may be
wrong but I've not seen a checkbox for using one versus the other. I
don't have a DAC to test.

HtH

--
Skunk