Again...the "audiophile" version of the Squeezebox, which will be sold
through dealers, is due out in the not-too-distant future.  I think
this is a semi-open secret at this point.   Salient items are a digital
input, improved DAC, power supply,etc.  I'm sure it will be in a sleek,
sexy, metallic case, to help justify a far higher price point.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this: before spending hundreds or
thousands on mods, why not wait a few months?  In the meantime, the SB3
alone can be quite satisfactory.  You won't be pulling out hairs over
poor sound quality.

Much of this is subjective, of course, but there are those on this
forum, inlcuding me (please, no flames, no comments about my
non-revealing system, etc.), who have found the differences between the
SB3 and a high quality external DAC and the SB3 alone to be minimal.
Ditto for power supplies.  The differences ARE there, to be sure, but
the price per square foot, as it were, is at Manhattan levels.  So...if
Slim Devices, who are obviously a bunch of very smart, very savvy, and
very competent people, come out with an "audiophile" friendly version,
I think it would be worth checking out.  Fewer boxes, nicer design,
equal or less money.

--
highdudgeon

SB3, Lavry DA10, Sony DVP 555es, Bel Canto Pre2, Carver Sunfire, Rane
DEQ60L, Harbeth Monitor 40s, ACI Force subs