Banzai, Sean,
Interesting discussion! Thank you!

My experience is that I normally use SB as traditional source (vol=40)
into an integrated amp with volume control. Amp's volume control
further enhances apparent S/N by attenuating the noise with the signal
and I never noticed the noise before.

I am now sampling a set of full gain monoblocks, and like you, and like
many people on this audiophile forum, I run the analog outs directly
into the amps, because preamps that I can afford always screw with the
signal. My speakers can take 1812 Overture's cannon shots at full SB
volume with the NuForce amps, it is loud, yes, but I smile quite a bit,
though I do stand about 20 feet back. Anyway, with the more powerful
amps amplifying the noise component at full gain, and the software
volume control only attenuating the music, the S/N is low enough to
hear the noise playing in the quiet passages of music, or just steadily
whining in the background like an old TV when there is no music playing
at all.

Squeezebox has been designed to be a high-end component, and when John
Atkinson proclaims it officially ordained into the high end in July
Stereophile, Sean and everyone at Slim will be glad it is used as a
combination source/preamp and such performance available for $300
garners them a class A gear designation. Adding a Preamp that is in the
same price class as the SB just ruins the sound. I have yet to hear a
complaint that the SB attenuation failed causing speaker damage like I
have recently read about T-amp and other high end low price wannabes.
Has SB ever returned under warrantee for such a repair to the volume
control circuitry, and does it even have a separate failure mode when
music would continue to play at runaway volume level? I though volume
is written into the digital word, is it possible to somehow skip that
step and still hear music or any signal that would put a dangerous
voltage to the analog outputs?

I am glad to hear that changing the display brightness will help, that
is an excellent tip! I think I would be pretty ticked if I sent SB in
and lost a week of listening time and the replacement came back with
the same flaw.

I have always thought it would really be cool if the SQB had a RCA
composite video output for viewing the display on a TV just for the
weak vision crowd like me, and now maybe adding defeatable plasma
display to composite video would solve this whine too.
Great responses, guys Thanks so much!
Rich

--
richidoo