I did one more test with a third setup:

Wireless SB3 to old Yamaha RX-495 (two channel analog receiver) to B&W
602s3 at full volume (using Yamaha for volume control).

At SB3 full volume, Yamaha at modest listening volume, the right
channel buzz is basically not noticeable when SB3 is paused. However if
I raise the Yamaha volume, the SB3 right-channel buzz does become
apparent again. Admittedly, this level would be a bit loud for regular
listening (guesstimating 80dB) but not completely excessive.

Turning the SB3 down to the levels I have to use it at when it does its
own volume attenuation (15 on SB3 volume control), and then turning up
the Yamaha level to compensate makes the right-channel buzz much more
apparent.

I have re-confirmed that the SB3 volume level does NOT affect the
right-channel buzz. In other words, the buzz is at a constant output
level regardless of SB3 output level. The difference in hearing the
buzz or not is based, as Sean suggested, on the output level of the
amp.

So really it's only an issue when the SB3 is used as a volume
attenuator. At line-level (max) output the snr is high enough that the
right-channel noise becomes insignificant.

However, that still screws up my analog setup which relies on the SB3
to do volume attenuation and play at low levels.

--
banzai