Actually, I have it on pretty good authority (an MD), and there is
information out there to back this up, that the average (average) 40
year old male tops off at around 14khz.  That's assuming no lifetime of
regular rock concerts and airport tarmacs.  By age fifty, that number is
cut in half -- you're down to 7khz.  And, from there, it's a continued
nose dive.

When I play a test tone sweep through my speakers, the sound level, to
me, diminishes rapidly as the freq goes higher and then it sputters
into a hiss.  Interestingly, while looking at the computer, the
measurement is still going...and the extreme high frequencies are
measured (I use Fuzzmeasure for the Mac and a DBX mic with Presonus
Firebox audio device, both calibrated).  Oh: I turn 41 in a couple of
weeks.

--
highdudgeon

SB3, Lavry DA10, Sony DVP 555es, Bel Canto Pre2, Carver Sunfire, Rane
DEQ60L, Harbeth Monitor 40s, ACI Force subs