azinck3 Wrote:
> A hard drive's digital performance is a non-issue in this discussion.
> Due to the error detection, correction, and redundancy throughout any
> properly designed computer, data is able to travel speedily and
> accurately to any component.  The hard-drive isn't the device that's
> generating the spdif stream.  The quality of the output device (be it
> the sound card or squeezebox or whatever) is what has to be called into
> question.  The output device is going to get perfectly accurate
> information in plenty of time, but if it's cheap it might not be able
> to lay down a very "pretty" spdif signal (poor edges, bad timing).

I dont disagree at all. You obviously misunderstood my point.

Jitter and an '-exactly- correct data stream' are unrelated. I dont
think jitter is really an issue with respect to the storage device, as
you say, but reproducing a perfect stream of bits correctly has nothing
to do with jitter.

--
martintyler