martintyler Wrote:
> I dont disagree at all. You obviously misunderstood my point.

You are likely correct in this since it was unclear to me what you were
trying to say (except that you were apparently disagreeing with the
previous point).

martintyler Wrote:
> but reproducing a perfect stream of bits correctly has nothing to do
> with jitter.

I think we're basically in agreement here...but your statement calls
for some clarification.  There are really 2 "streams of bits" that
we're discussing.  The recreation of a "perfect stream of bits" inside
of the computer indeed has nothing to do with the jitter we're speaking
of.  The jitter we're discussing only exists in the creation and
interpretation of the spdif signal (the computer, as the source device
in this case, can only be held responsible for the creation of the
signal).  At some point the computer must generate a spdif signal based
on the audio data it knows.  It knows the actual bits and it knows what
timing to use to send those bits.  Using that information, the spdif
signal is created by some output device (sound card, squeezebox, etc.)
and at this point "reproducing a perfect stream of bits correctly" has
*everything* to do with jitter.  The "perfect" signal would contain all
correct bits, be perfectly timed, and all edge transitions would be
vertical.  Getting the correct bits down is trivial, but neither
perfect timing nor vertical edge transitions is possible.

--
azinck3