> 0. A way to purchase individual songs online in lossless format.

I'm certain this will come if demand is there.

I bought my first electronic download in lossless format a while back,
interestingly from some old hippies, rather than a modern 'with it'
band ;)

http://gdstore.com/

A 'five CD' set of songs cost way less than the individual discs, the
quality is superb and I'm hooked, it's a great way to get music, the
only downside being you lose the tactile element of the packaging.

The record companies are just so far up their own backsides they really
are missing a trick here, instead of constantly whinging about their
sales, trying to make it illegal for us to use the music we own through
copy protection etc. they should be opening up and generating a whole
new generation of customers.

The problem for them is it effectively kills the current distribution
models, the ability to trial tracks in your own home and only buy the
stuff that's actually any good, instead of paying over the odds for
what often turns out as a dissapointment scares them rigid!

Andy

--
Andrew L. Weekes