I tried a DTS file and from the digital out its fine, so at max volume
the digital out is good.

Yet when I grab the bits going to the DAC chip itself in the SB3 the
volume is lower than when I send the same file through a normal player
to my external DAC.

I also compared softqueeze and squeezeslave, softsqueeze (in which the
volume control works) is softer than the direct file, but squeezeslave
which is NOT controled by the volume control is the same output level
as the direct file.

This sems to point to something in the volume control processing that
just goes to the analog outs and not the digital out. Whatever this is
also seems to be effecting softsqueeze in the same way as the actual
hardware.

I have replay gain set to disabled and preamp volume set to 0.

This bring up an interesting question, how are replay gain and preamp
volume integrated in to the main volume? Are all three combined in
slimserver and one volume level sent to the player? Are all three sent
separately and the player combines them into one volume level and
applies that to the signal or are they sent separately and each
attenuates the signal in a separate step?

I've read a few things about some people liking the sound of some older
firmware versions better, I wonder if this volume control issue could be
related?

John S.

--
JohnSwenson