Hi Wayne,
great going!

Its been my experience that even digital audio gear needs to warm up in
order to achieve its best performance. I have a DAC that sounds kind of
flat and uninvolving when first turned on, after about 10 minutes it
sounds MUCH better but doesn't get to full glory until its been running
for at least 6-8 hours. I did a study and it turns out its strongly
correlated with the temperature of the DAC chip, when its warm it
sounds better. Modern DAC chips use very little power so they can take
a long time to really warm up. The "old fashioned" power hogs got hot
quickly.

A number of people like to put damping material or little sand bags
over the crystal on their DACs, supposedly for vibration damping. I
found they primarily work by thermally insullating the parts, they get
hot faster and ultimately reach a higher temperature. Of course at some
point the parts stop working when they get TOO hot. A delicate balance!

John S.

--
JohnSwenson