sbjaerum Wrote:
> Ok, I fully understand your reasoning.
>
> But would the sound quality be compromised with a two-device system
> having word clock communication?
> I guess the jitter performance could potentially be affected?

No, not if a word clock is used.

The effect of the word clock is to change the s/pdif interface from
sending "timing plus data" to just sending data. Timing then becomes
the responsibility of the receiving unit, and jitter performance is
determined only by the DAC unit's internal clock.

It also means that as long as all the bits make it across correctly,
you don't have to worry about the quality of your cabling.

--
seanadams