bitmonkey Wrote:
> However, if the SB's internal DAC is really *THAT* good, I guess I'd be
> happy using it as an analogue source. Part of this is probably
> disbelief that a £200 component's DAC can really be better than the
> ring DAC in my not-so-old £1200 CD player, but if it's true then I
> guess I ought to be happy I can upgrade for such small cost.
I can't say whether it's a better DAC, but my bet is there's a high
chance that ripped CDs in lossless (e.g. Flac) format played through
the SB will sound better than the £1200 CD player.

Why? Not because of the DAC but because the CD player, though digital,
has variables that affect the play back because it's reading a stream
of data off a CD spinning away with vibrations and all sorts. A CD may
not play perfectly or the same every time (arguably). In many ways a CD
player is analogue in behaviour.

However when ripping a CD using something like EAC to a lossless format
you get an exact copy with all the errors ironed out and playing the
lossless file is exact every time. Coupled with sending the file
through TCP/IP to the SB you don't get jitter issues delivering the
file to the DAC, so it's pretty much as perfect a delivery of digital
data to the DAC as you can get.

If you were to output SP/DIF from the SB you may be introducing jitter
again, though the quality of an external DAC might outweigh that.

--
deadkenny