fatfred Wrote:
> I am tempted by the Nos dac from derek shek as I think that this may
> bring something to the squeezebox table. What I'm looking for I guess
> is detail and natural presence. I have also been offered a Counterpoint
> dac for slightly more money. Has anyone had experience with these? I am
> not a rich man and want to make sure this is money well spent. The
> transporter is out of reach today but will be edging towards one next.

I have the Shek DAC (see my sig)! It's been great. Derek is a great
guy, too. I blew the regulator on my first one, by reversing polarity
on my power supply, but I sent it back to him and he fixed it for me at
no cost (just shipping). Highly recommended. A cheap way to go is to
think about getting a ready-made kit to build yourself. The Monica DAC
(diyparadise.com) comes to mind. There are a bunch of kits being sold
over at diyaudio forums. For what it's worth, I'm now designing my own
DAC (it's an upsampler). If nothing else I've learned a heck of a lot
about how these things work, and I highly recommend that anyone really
interested in these matters to research how DAC's work before plunking
down big bucks. It may make you think twice.

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.