fatfred Wrote:
> Have some good reading from thread. Many of us seem to tend towards
> newer dacs up to date components and some belief that chinese dacs are
> providing quite equivalent performance at a good price point.

Just FYI, there's a school of thought on this which says money spent on
a DAC is essentially a waste.  The reasoning is that all reasonably
modern DACs sound more or less the same - witness the fact that the DAC
chips themselves are extremely inexpensive, which is an indication that
the technology is mature.  On the other hand amplifiers and (to a much
greater extent) speakers vary considerably.  Finally, in my experience
room correction has a far, far bigger effect on sound then changing the
DAC.

So my advice is to put the money into speakers if you're buying them,
or into a TacT amp or measurement mic plus Inguz' plugin.  If in the
end you buy a DAC, at the very least get one with a return policy.  You
can test it head to head with the SB DAC by sending the same out (say
the left) from each to the amp and then playing with the balance (if
you have one) or just putting your head next to each speaker in turn.
I'll be surprised if you hear much difference, possibly apart from a
volume mismatch.

--
opaqueice