95bcwh;143024 Wrote:

> If measurement is the only "truth" that's worth pursuing, I wonder why
> manufacturers still need to send their gears for review. Why
> Stereophile still bothered with listening, might as well just get all
> the measurements, and use them to rank every piece of equipments.

Bringing up Stereophile's methodology is not a good way to convince a
skeptic.  They don't do blind testing, they rely on advertising for
income - therefore the default assumption must be that the reviews are
biased.  The burden of proof lies on anyone that thinks otherwise.

It's difficult to measure speakers, since how they sound depends on
where you put them, and because the frequency response is so far from
flat it's not clear what's better and what's worse - it becomes a
matter of personal preference.  For other components, however, I think
good, thorough measurements are quite adequate as a basis for choice.
Early CD players are _not_ a counterexample to this - it was a new
technology, and it wasn't immediately obvious what to measure (now we
know it's jitter).  That brief period of adjustment is wrongly taken by
the faithful as evidence that measurement is never adequate.

I'd love to see blind test results compared to measurements of, say,
amplifiers, or better yet interconnects or power cords or speaker
cables.  I'm willing to bet a large sum that no one can tell the
difference between wires with the same measured R, L, and C - and yet
gullible audiophiles spend outrageous sums on such things based on
meaningless reviews.

--
opaqueice