Very good points indeed.  Except that, actually, it's quite easy to
measure speakers.  Professional testing software (Liberty Audio Suite
is an industry standard; for Mac users, there's Fuzzmeasure) exists and
is used by speaker designers, reviewers, and home-users (like myself).
Some honest reviewers, like Robert Greene, will provide measurements
and some information about the room -- which is all-important.  Change
the room, and the measurements go out the window.  Mostly.  Except for
Quads, some line array speakers, and a few others, that always tend to
sound linear and like themselves.   And, even then...equally linear
speakers can have vastly different sounds (dipole, box speaker)But I
digress.

Your point is very well taken.  We can tell a great deal indeed from
the numbers resulting from testing electronic components.  The numbers
don't lie.

This is a nice piece -- I wish more people would do this:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

--
highdudgeon