tomjtx;143121 Wrote:
> where are you teaching the course and would the text be intelligible to
> a novice?

At a university.  Any physics department offers a yearly course on QM;
it's an essential subject for physics majors.  There are many many
texts - in my opinion the best pedagogically is Griffiths:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Quantum-Mechanics-David-Griffiths/dp/0131118927/sr=1-2/qid=1160018727/ref=sr_1_2/104-4362522-8152754?ie=UTF8&s=books

To understand the subject properly you need to know calculus, and some
prior knowledge of linear algebra helps a lot (although all the truly
essential results are in an appendix of that book).  Usually physics
majors take this course in their third or fourth year.

As for books intended for a general audience, I can't recommend one -
not because there aren't any, but simply because I don't read popular
books on physics and so I don't know.  Brian Greene's books are very
good, but they aren't really about QM (but may explain some aspects of
it).

--
opaqueice