opaqueice;144311 Wrote:
> You're surprised they sound similar since the chips are different?  I
> would guess the analogue stage, PSU, etc. has a much bigger effect on
> the sound than the DAC chip at this point - I think the chips cost
> maybe $10, which is probably a good indication the technology is mature
> and they should all be more or less equivalent.

The majority of CDPs/DACs that that I have really enjoyed (Dodson,
Resolution Audio, Bel Canto, Ayre, Sim Audio, BAT, etc) have all used
Burr-Brown DACs, and they all share very similar qualities despite
having significantly different analog stage designs (the common theme
beyond the Burr-Brown chips has been good attention paid to the power
supply design for the analog stage, but not necessarily the same power
supply design).  CDPs/DACs that I have not been fond of have usually
used other DAC chips (Electrocompaniet, Audiomeca, etc).  I don't
necessarily think that the cost of the chip is a good reflection of the
"character" that it imparts on the overall sound.

FWIW, I know that both Dodson and Sim Audio use the "K"-series DACs
from Burr-Brown..."K"-series is a categorization of chips that pass a
certain quality-control level within a certain chip model; "K"-series
chips perform in the top 10% within the testing tolerances Burr-Brown
uses to verify the performance of the D-to-A performance of the chip.
Dodson has access to higher level testing equipment, and actually
throws out 30% of the chips they receive from Burr-Brown (really they
just sell those 30% to other companies, not really throwing them
out)...so for at least these two companies, the feeling is that these
chips are not "all the same"...

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.