opaqueice;149617 Wrote:
> In fact if break-in existed it would be well known to researchers - in
> physics people all the time build *extremely* sensitive electronic
> devices, and if these changed over time it would screw up tons of
> measurements.

Exactly - think how expensive and critical a satellite is.  There are
tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of solder joints.  Every one
must be carefully inspected - there are actually "solder engineers"
that do this.

Every cable must be tested and checked as well.  You don't want this to
fail in orbit!

I wonder if those guys believe in the concept of burn-in?  I don't
think so.  While they do power it up and leave various circuits
running, this is only to test it and make sure there are no defective
components (if it runs for 100 hours on the bench, it probably will for
another 100 000 hours in orbit), not to let it burn in.

They would definitely not want the operating characteristics to drift
over time.

The only pseudo-scientific explanation for burn-in I've seen mentioned
is "electron creep".  Sounds shaky at best, and google can't even
locate any links on it.

> On the other hand your ears/brain are going to percieve changes whether
> or not they exist.  So you decide which is more plausible...

Yes, the brain will adjust and get used to how things sound.  You even
get used to speaker colouration - extremely flat FR speakers aren't
usually perceived as pleasant because our minds grow used to what
less-perfect speakers sound like.

On subtle things like sound, our brain and how it perceives/interprets
it plays a very large role.  It can completely fool you, which is why
ABX tests are so important.

--
Mark Lanctot