Phil Leigh;149949 Wrote:
> Nice post Cliveb - I agree with pretty much everything apart from the
> fact that there are ALWAYS people mad enough to write their own DBMS -
> again. :0)
>
> ...also whilst HTTP is too sluggish, you wouldn't want the client to
> get too fat - but you would want a fair bit of intelligent client-side
> in memory caching (ooo this is fun)

The truth is that most of what we want to do with a remote is pretty
fixed and a fairly small set of functionality. A slick, fast attractive
interface for music selection and playback could be achieved in Java or
Flash and make the experience much more consumer friendly and would
work on a number of off-the-shelf designs. The Nokia 770 skin shows
what can be done with Ajax, but what's needed now is a step up to the
next level with a designed-for-purpose application, correct physical
controls and a recharging station.

I suspect this will be the next obvious product from Slim, no more high
end transports, but add-ons to a successful lower end offering to catch
up with Sonos and provide cross-selling for the Harmony remotes.

--
CardinalFang