tomsi42;150168 Wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the minimum smallest increase in sound level
> that people can hear is 3db. Any comments on that?
3dB is quite a big change, and very obviously noticable.

I think there used to be a generally held view that 1dB was the
smallest change that was noticable as a loudness difference, but I'd
say that was a serious underestimate. Plenty of people notice a
loudness change when the difference is less than 1dB.

And finally, a very small change (eg. 0.2dB) won't be consciously
noticed as a loudness change, but it *will* often be perceived as some
kind of qualitative difference. That's why A/B tests have to be so
carefully level-matched if the results are to be meaningful.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?