Jenks;151197 Wrote:
> I am stunned to hear any experienced audiophile say they doubt burn in.
> Every time I buy a new component it is more than obvious. Perhaps the
> effects are a form of phase distortion some peoples' brains decode
> better than others..  The burn in process is not always the same, but I
> often find the first few seconds sound very like it will sound when
> burnt in (particularly cables), then it quickly deteriorates getting
> thin and opaque with sucked out bass.  This improves slowly then
> switches over to lush and even gorgeous sounding, if rolled off, yet
> dynamically constrained.  Then it opens up and gains dynamics and bass
> extension to settle into its burned in state.  Sometimes there are wee
> detours along the way, but the process is often as I describe above.  I
> think the main reason is dialectrics in cables and capacitors forming
> slowly, but that is at best just an informed guess.  I have been able
> to compare burnt in versions with burning in versions of otherwise
> identical cables to confirm I am not mad on this - at least to my
> satisfaction - don't care about anyone else's.  I am just stunned
> anyone with decent ears and a decent system has not heard it with new
> cables or equipment, when I have heard it so consistently.  I am not
> doubting you have good systems and good ears, but I don't give any
> credence to the suggestion it is placebo.  Perhaps it is that we are
> not all susceptible to the phase distortions created during burn in.

Look at it this way - we know a tremendous amount about cables. (FYI
there is no such thing as a dialectric - if you mean dielectric, that
is the opposite of a conductor, and if it formed in your interconnects
or speaker cables it would have a rather drastic and unsubtle effect on
the sound.  Fortunately for  electronics it does not.) We know very well
how electrons propagate down cables, we have literally billions of
electronic devices behaving in precisely predictable ways all the time
everywhere in the world - it's hard to think of anything we understand
BETTER.  And in all of that, there is not a shred of scientific
evidence or theory, at least to my knowledge (which is considerable -
I'm a physicist), which indicates that any such phenomenon exists.  I
can say with total condidence that if cable burn-in happens it must be
a miniscule effect.

On the other hand while we understand very little about how the human
ear and brain interact, we know for a fact that the placebo effect and
perception adaptation effects exist (and are extremely strong).

So which is more plausible - something going against decades of
scientific knowledge, experience, experiments, expertise, and the laws
of nature, or something in total accord with common sense and many many
experiments in medicine and psychology and the study of human
perception.  You decide.

--
opaqueice