Jenks;151437 Wrote:
> I know you hate to think there isn't anything you don't know about wires
> and electrons, but that's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Hmmm... I'm not sure anyone claimed that, I think most of us (apologies
if I get this wrong) can accept material changes due to corrosion,
coiling or twists in cables, but burn-in suggests molecular changes, or
a kind of "relaxing" that occurs post-manufacturing that doesn't seem to
be backed up with empirial evidence.

On the other hand, the brain is subject to all kinds of suggestion and
the fact the same component sounds different in two different systems
and surroundings is more credibly explained by the fact that the
circumstances are different than any effect due to burn-in.

Did you try putting your pre-amp in your friends system? That would at
least indicate some effect due to some form of "settling-in" of
components following a number of heating/cooling cycles.

I'll put my hand up and say I don't profess to understand how
components age, but it's likely that it isn't for the better - my
Copland amp needs new valves for example, and most equipment eventually
dies of old age.

--
CardinalFang