Read Sean's post on the matter: if the SB3 is your source, then you need
something between it and your amp(s).  That would mean using your
preamp.  The deal is that you run a real, if as yet unrealised by
anyone on this forum, chance of a digital failure of sorts followed by
the blowing of your speakers.  Also, in an ideal world, you want to max
out the volume of the SB3 and use analogue attenuation -- that you avoid
any chance of signal degradation.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.