highdudgeon;156191 Wrote:
> Yes, I do -- the grammar isn't that tricky.  It means that the
> Transporter has sound A and the other two, namely TP+DAC and SB3+ DAC,
> have sound B.  Sound A and sound B are very close to each other.  By
> saying that two of the configurations, again, the TP+DAC and SB3+DAC
> sound identical, I meant that they sound identical.
>
> I'll be even more specific: my impression is that the TP wins out in
> terms of attack and transient response and has, overall, superior
> treble -- not "trebly," just really nice.  The DAC is perhaps --
> perhaps -- a bit more textured in the midbass.  Imaging is so close to
> identical that mentioning any differences is not worth it.
>
> I can say that we were able to pick up the TP and DACs on a regular
> basis.  The thing is, it wasn't that one was altogether better or
> altogether worse.  Some passages were just a tad more involving and
> realistic -- a tad -- with one than with the other.
>
> I think that owning a TP with an outdoor DAC is a waste of money.  The
> TP is that good.  There is a good argument, however, for owning a SB3
> and DAC (cheaper, after all) IF you use a DSP device.  On the other
> hand, the looks and convenience of the TP trump the other solution.
>
> This really isn't different from Ben Diss's well thought-out evaluation
> at Phil's place.  He said something along the lines of the
> configurations being around 98%or 99% (or higher) of each other.  I
> think he's right.  When you're shopping then, you need to consider
> convenience, system savings, looks, etc.  For instance, for me, a
> downside to the TP is the as-yet unfixed digital loop.  That's a biggie
> and I think Slim knows it.  On the other hand, you can plug multiple
> digital sources into the back and use the thing as a preamp with remote
> control.  You can do the same with a Lavry, but they you have to get up
> and use that annoying switch to adjust the volume on your secondary
> source.  My wife likes the looks of the TP.  She thinks the SB3 looks
> like an alarm clock (it does) and that using it with the Lavry makes
> our room look like an engineer's tweaking place and not family living
> rooom.  She is right.  We both agree that the sound is as good as
> anything else.  I sold my Lavry -- and not because I need the money.
>
> Anyway, yes, Virginia, that was a grammatically correct sentence.
> Perhaps a bit quick, if you read it quickly, but grammatically sound.
> Thank you for the snippy comment.  Posts like that, comments that you
> would never make in person, out of basic politeness, really liven up
> the atmosphere of this forum and encourage good relations.  You are
> very clever indeed.
>
> Clear?

getting the TP + a mediocre dac (eg larvy) will be a waste of money i
agree.

But if u get a resonable DAC (eg emm lab) with a word clock output
option to slave the TP I do believe it is going to make a difference
and sound better than the TP itself although i havent try it myself.
I will do that after xmas. The whole point of buying the TP for
transport purpose is their word clock input function, which costs
around $1400 if you compare it to a sb3.

--
Konig