tomsi42;160177 Wrote:
> I woudn't bet on it. The Microsoft Zune let's you send a music fil to
> another user. The copy gets DRM'ed and can only be listened to three
> times (in three days). No matter what the original file comes from!
> Legal or not... And Apple is more DRM-happy than MS.
>
> Tom

That last point is highly debatable - especially in the light of the
very example you give! And in any case that's not retrospective. Users
know (or will have had the opportunity to find out) before they do it
that that is what will happen. The same would not be true of
retrospectively applying DRM to existing ALAC files. There are good
reasons not to (the main one being "lawyers") and none that I can see
that would outweigh them on the other side. I would bet against that,
and I think my money would be pretty safe. I'd bet against the iTunes
store selling DRM'ed ALAC as well. I think they're more likely to raise
the bitrate on protected AAC, perhaps charging a premium for the better
quality, if they do anything - although given the phenomenal success of
crappy bitrates and lossy formats, why would they bother?

--
geraint smith