Skunk;161709 Wrote:
> I noticed in the archives you mentioned having a couple alwsr boards,
> did anything ever come about?
>
> Also in the archives, Seans response to Mike Hansons ALWSR supply was
> that the 14V (or 12.5?) internal rail after the display was the place
> to try attacking, rather than solely the external 5V. Going directly to
> the internal logic supplies is what I meant to suggest the modders
> should be doing.
>
> Which leads to my new question! I believe I read that a switching
> regulator was changed to linear in the SB2>SB3 transition. Does anyone
> know if the redesign changes anything in regards to attacking the 14V
> rail rather than the external supply?

Not quite... please take the mod recommendations I've made only in the
very specific contexts in which they came up. I suggested the 12V rail
as a place to connect a battery pack or an external linear supply, as
_opposed_ to a super reg.

If you have super reg(s) to play with, I'd suggest installing them
internally, replacing the 5V and 9V linear regs (in that order of
importance).

Just for completeness: I've also suggested that replacing the external
5V feed is silly, because it does not reduce noise at the internal
power rails - those are internally linear-regulated _down_ from the
output of an internal switching _step-up_ supply. Changing the wall
wart does not materially affect the internal supplies which ultimately
power the DAC.

As far as the power supply changes from SB2 to SB3, this was a design
optimization where a integrated dual switching IC for 1v2/3v3 supply
was replaced with a 1v2 switcher and a 3v3 linear reg for the digital
sections. It does not affect the analog rails.

--
seanadams