highdudgeon;162262 Wrote:
> As far as I know, it does.....snip......
> What should be the ideal conversion for aac?

As far as I know, too, it does, and as a fellow Mac-head, I use iTunes
and have problems with dropouts only when 't' folk next door are using
their cordless phone or their microwave, so that doesn't sound likely
to me. But I do get them (I think, although it's a while since I had
one) with ALAC, and certainly with AAC.  I suspect it is because my
eMac, burdened as it is with other tasks and hamstrung by limited
memory and processing power (rather like its owner) can't cope smoothly
with the transcoding. Might that be the problem?

I'd be interested to know why you choose to rip to AAC, with all its
Slimserver disadvantages (no fast forward/rewind and transcoding being
the ones that spring to mind) rather than to a format that "just works"
without needing transcoding, which in our case would be AIFF. In other
words, I wouldn't start from here, if I were you......but as I'm not,
I'd like to understand your reasoning. It may well be better than
mine.

Geraint.

--
geraint smith