seanadams;164817 Wrote:
> No - at least, not in the way I think you're asking. Audio playback
> takes place on the Squeezebox/Transporter itself. The computer is just
> sending data to it, like copying a file.
>
> The only way to have a problem is if the computer can't keep up sending
> enough data, in which case the player will stop until it can get more
> data. This is called a "buffer underrun" and is not a subtle
> degradation - it will be obvious.  Our earliest products (SLIMP3,
> Squeezebox1) had relatively little memory, so this could sometimes be
> caused by taxing the computer. However, SB2, SB3, and Transporter have
> lots of memory, so it is very unlikely that you could cause an underrun
> by taxing the CPU with other tasks. Usually, underruns are caused by bad
> wireless performance.

Thanx Sean,
That's actualy what I thought. I had began to doubt my understanding of
the process because, while my computer performance  has definitely
fallen off on occasion I've never experienced any audio drop out from
"buffer overrun". I guess there is plenty of buffer capacity in the SB
to deal with such events. Anyway thanx so much for reply.
Gerry

--
gdg