Astute post.  Your point about ear training, in particular, makes a
great deal of sense.  It strikes me as odd that people who profess
themselves music lovers (well, sound lovers, strictly speaking)
shouldn't take more pains to pursue musical education.  Even some adult
piano courses would be better than the next upgrade -- learn to listen,
learn about scales and keys, learn about rhythm, etc.  As little as
half a year of classes would greatly add to one's appreciation of
music.  People spend more money on interconnects.

--
lafayette

Sweet Home Alabama