This is all interesting.  However, the picture I'm getting here is that
these kinds of recordings are the exception, not the rule.  Moreover,
it has to do with a perceptual trick and not the actual physics of how
point source sound waves hit your ears.

Still, I was unaware of these recording techniques and will seek out
some of the recommendations.  Again, in my experience, and from what i
have learned, the rule and not the exception is that good stereo
imaging pretty much happens between the speakers.  The stuff you beyond
that is artifice (as above) or reflection.

This leads to one obvious question: how to judge, given specs, how a
particular speaker, in a particular (generic) room will handle such
recordings.  I would imagine that the speaker and not the electronics
is paramount is achieving the effect.

Happy New Year from way down south!

--
lafayette