teq;168801 Wrote:
> I plan to hook up the Transporter with a Krell 400xi through the
> balanced port. According to the Krell's product documentation, the
> Krell has
> - INPUT SENSITIVITY 0.644 Vrms
> - INPUT IMPEDANCE 47 kOhms
>
> Will this work, or am I in for a problem?

Teq,

Here is what I found out for the Bryston. The Bryston has two gain
settings: 23dB (2V) and 29dB (1V). This is the voltage gain the amp
provides to the input. This translates to a voltage gain factor of 14.1
and 28.1 respectively. So, if the Tp offers 3Vrms balanced at Full Scale
into the Bryston 3B SST and an 8ohm speaker, then the power requirement
is 223 and 888 Watts respectively. Since the 3B SST is a 150Wpc amp, I
will have to use the 2V setting on balanced and will not be able to run
full scale.

Now, the Tp claims 3Vrms, while the Bryston claims 23dB on 2.6V for
full power output (just a note that if you take 2.6V @ 23dB gain that
is actually 168W but who is counting). So maybe Slim overstated the
balanced output just a bit? Who knows.

To run full scale on the Tp into the Bryston 3B and use full power
without clipping (assuming Tp 3Vrms output) I will need to use the 2V
setting and a 1.2 dB pad (I think). The 10dB XLR pad I was discussing
earlier would be too much.

Now, in your case,
http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_KAV400xi_spec.html says the
gain on your amp is a massive 35.8dB. So you definately will not be
able to run the SB3 into the Krell and run the volume control to full
scale (0dB) on the SB3. The SB3 6Vpp is right around 2V RMS (2Vrms is
5.7Vpp). So assuming output on the SB3 of 2Vrms, and a 35.8dB gain, you
would have a power requirement of 1900W which far exceeds your 200W
rated power supply.

So your choices are:
- run the SB3 low on the volume control to avoid overdriving your amp,
clipping and/or blowing a fuse
- add a 10dB attenuator (pad) in between the SB3 and the Krell input.

I personaly would prefer to put the pad in and run the volume control
higher. I have seen postings in the forums about suppliers of RCA
inline pads, and I mentioned an balanced pad earlier in this thread.

If I fluffed my math someone will undoubtably correct me and I will be
suitably embarrased but appropriately appreciative.

--
Eric Carroll