konut;169704 Wrote:
> Its the flash vs. buffer thats got me thinking.

Oho:

> As data, using the RUR process, is retrieved it is stored in an
> electronic, or flash, memory and not on a hard drive. In his
> investigations, Mark discovered that data read from a hard drive
> directly will exhibit higher levels of jitter. If however, the data is
> retrieved from a flash memory, it is far less tainted and practically
> jitter-free.

Oh now THAT is interesting...and now subject to intense dissection.

Pray tell, what is the inherent jitter of an off-the-shelf hard drive,
hmm?

I was going to point out one factual error:

> By spinning the CD at a very high speed, and with the aid of a custom
> laser pickup process, the data is read and reread over the course of
> many passes, until all the data residing in the pits on the CD has been
> amassed.

(the data does not "reside in the pits", rather the change in
reflectance between the pits and the lands forms the code) but it pales
in comparison to the "hard drive jitter" thing.

--
Mark Lanctot