Yeah, THD was the key spec back in the 1970s and 80s. Manufacturers were
in a race to have the best numbers so to speak. Turns out Ottala
demostrated that excessive feedback was detrimental to sound quality
(smearing transient response). A new parameter called "TIM" or
Transient Intermodulation Distortion, was discovered.

Some people forego feedback all together. I particularly find small
amounts of feedback necessary for proper amplifier stability.

Rather than super low THD, one should look for an amplifier that clips
gracefully with plenty of clean power right up to the clipping point
(generally measured at 1 kHz).

I was going to recommend Audio Research tube amps, since Mr.
Vandersteen uses them to demo his speakers but most models are out of
the poster's budget. However, with some patience he can try to get
something like a Classic 60 (60 strong tube watts) for  $1K or so...

--
crooner

SB3 with Custom Linear Power Supply
Lite Audio DAC-60 Tube DAC
VPI Scout with Benz Micro Glider M2
Audio Research PH3, SP16L and VS110
Vandersteen 2Ce signatures, 2W subwoofer.